TO CAR KEYS

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mom Tip: A Family Reading Journal

While cleaning out the attic the other day, I found our old Family Reading Journal. This was one of my many attempts at trying to instill a love of reading in our boys when they were younger. This is how it worked. Upon completion of a book, we were rewarded by getting to write in the Family Reading Journal. The journal was simply a spiral notebook where every member of the family reccrded the date, title, author, and summary of the book read. Lastly, we wrote whether or not we recommended the book, and then we signed our name (our signature made it official). The boys were around 6 years old when we did this, although you could start at any age.They could also put stickers next to their entry as well. I caught myself having a "mom moment" as I looked through our old journal and read the 6 year old handwriting of our now 21 year old young men. Although it has been years, from car seats to car keys seems like only a few days.

Several of you have asked about how to subscribe to this blog. To subscribe, scroll down to the bottom of the blog page and click subscribe. If you don't already have a google account, you will need to register. Once that is done, you can subscribe. We got 5 new subscribers this week. Thank you!

Wishing you a blessed day,
Robin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Robin,
One of my most prized possessions is also a note from my grandmother. She left it for me in her things to find after she died. She told me how much she loved me and thanked me for being "so good to her". She also said she wanted me to have her wedding ring when she was gone. I don't know which is more special: the ring she cherished(especially all those years after her love passed away),or the note she purposely left for me to find. I totally agree--- a priceless treasure!