TO CAR KEYS

Friday, July 18, 2008

Great Memories of Frozen Pizza and Perfect Kids

When Doug was 9 years old, I told him that we were going to have frozen pizza for dinner. He gave me a puzzled look and said, "Well, can't you warm it up first?"

When Dan was 8 years old, I was telling him good night. We were about to say his prayers. I asked him if he wanted to ask God to forgive him for anything that he had said or done wrong that day. He thought for a minute, smiled and with great relief said, "No sins today!"

These words are precious memories. I'm glad that I took the time to write down these anecdotes 10+ years ago when they happened. Otherwise, I would never be able to remember them. (Face it, I can't remember what I had for lunch today.) I wish I had written more. There were times when (in writing) I poured my heart out to the Father over a deep concern. Just the other day, I read of a time when I was worried about one of the boys. He was in the 8th grade. (Junior high can be a nightmare, can't it?) I didn't approve of some of his friends. I pleaded with the Lord to give me wisdom and to deliver him from this situation. Now I can look back and see how the Lord answered my heartfelt concern in greater ways than I could have ever imagined.

While recording these special moments takes time, it isn't meant to be one more chore. All it takes is a notebook and a pen. I have a friend who sets her spiral notebook next to her bed. Occasionally, she jots some notes in it at the end of the day. I have another friend who has a notebook for each of his kids and grandkids. On special occasions, he presents his family members with a completed journal of his thoughts, his special memories, and his prayers. It's never too late to start. When I thumb through the pages of the past, I am reminded of the many times God has been faithful even when I haven't.

Have a great day, Robin

No comments: