TO CAR KEYS

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Something to Think About...

I was reading a book this week called Spiritual Mothering by Susan Hunt and came across this quote:

"The truth is that we cling [to our children] because we are trying to get our security and significance from the wrong place."

Yikes! That was painful for me to read. I know that I have been guilty of this in the past. I pray that I have moved beyond that at this point. It's so easy to get our significance from raising our children. We invest so much of our time, energy and emotion in them. However, when we get our significance from our children, we create a huge problem. What happens when they misbehave? embarrass us? grow up and move away? Our security can't come from our husbands either. Our significance must come from the fact that we are daughters of the King. When we allow this truth to penetrate our inmost being, this gives us great freedom to do whatever it is that God has called us to do.

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God...John 1:12

Have a blessed day, Robin

No comments: