TO CAR KEYS

Friday, October 17, 2008

"My mother was my champion." Part 2

Below are some more quotes from Dr. Leman's book, 7 Things He'll Never Tell You.

"I loved my mother and she clearly loved me. In the midst of hard work, she would take time to go fishing with me. When I was 5 or 6 years old, we would walk to the creek and catch fish. She would celebrate each of my catches as if it were the most spectacular catch anyone had ever made! My little-boy heart would swell with pride. Perhaps my mother already knew then that I would struggle academically and that I would need this kind of boost early in life to be a success at anything.

I was always close to my mother when I was growing up. I could talk to my mother about anything-including girls and sex. My mother was always a straight talker. I knew she loved me. And, no matter what others said, she believed and expected the best of me."

As Dr. Leman tells of his mom, the recurring theme is unconditional love. She loved him and she was his biggest fan - his loudest cheerleader. This was paramount to the success of a young man who felt as if he was a failure in the world's eyes.

Have a great week and go fishing, Robin

No comments: