TO CAR KEYS

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tips for Talking to Teachers - Part I


With more than 20 years experience in education and administration, I observed many dos and don'ts in the dynamics of parent and teacher communication. At times, it can be a very awkward situation - perhaps even a prescription for disaster. Most teachers are devoted to their students and passionate about their careers. As parents, we are passionate about our children (to put it mildly). Although parents and teachers have the best of intentions, our passions can collide.Throughout the month, I will give you some tips to talking with teachers.

Next week, many of you will go to "meet the teacher." I remember when I was a kindergarten teacher and we had "meet the teacher" day. With 45+ adults and children waiting to meet me, a parent backed me in the corner (literally) and told me about her son's dysfunctional family situation. She went on to tell me that because of this situation he will struggle in school. Hmmm...What's wrong with this picture? First of all, she did this in front of her son. So he listened to his mom tell of how he is going to struggle. Secondly, by the end of the night after more conversations than I could count, all I could remember is that one of my students had a real sad homelife. I couldn't remember which one.

You may have a heartfelt concern that you feel the teacher needs to be aware of (learning difference, illness, family situation, etc.). If so, wait a couple of weeks into the school year. Then schedule a private meeting with the teacher either face to face or by phone. (Most teachers will specify their preferred method of communication.) Keep in mind that email is never the best way to communicate sensitive issues.

Lastly, go out of your way to be kind on "meet the teacher" day. While you are walking in excited and refreshed, chances are the teacher is exhausted (although he/she won't show it). Most teachers spend hours getting their rooms ready for the big day.

Have a blessed day, Robin