TO CAR KEYS

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mom Tip - A $2 Treasure

When the boys were young, I thought that buying Father’s Day cards, birthday cards, etc. were meaningless and a waste of money. I would pick them out, sign their names and they would give it to Dad. After a couple of days, I would throw the cards away. Then I discovered the blank book (a hard backed book with blank or lined pages). I purchased a blank book from Half-Priced Books for each of the boys (it works best if each child has a blank book for each person they write to). Every holiday or special occasion, they wrote something in it for their dad. When they were 3 years old, they drew pictures for him. When they were in kindergarten, they wrote him short notes. Complete with misspelled words and backwards letters, their notes were special and from the heart. I was careful to make sure each entry was dated. These blank books have become treasures over the years. This idea can be used by anyone. Grandparents can regularly write notes to each grandchild. Dads can write notes to their children. Instead of purchasing and keeping up with cards, this idea has worked great for our family. This treasure cost about $2 and a minimal amount of time.

This simple idea also teaches your child the power of words. Mom and Dad need encouragement at times. If Dad has a hard day at work, suggest that your child write a note in Dad’s blank book thanking him for working hard for his family.

I hope you have a great day –

Robin

1 comment:

L. Gisi said...

Robin...I love that journal book idea! I'm with you on the cards. You read them,(someone elses words) and toss 'em. Coincidentally, Charlie and I have been going through old papers, school work and notes from the kids. Our favorites are those they have handwritten. Like one night I got home from a late meeting and one of my boys had taken my "soft" pillow and left me a note saying that he couldn't get to sleep without it, because he wanted to smell me beofre he went to sleep. Awwww!!!! We found tons of Katie notes...just the precious words of a little girl--straight from the heart. So sweet. So, anyway I think you had a great idea and what a treasure for your boys to go and read, If I am ever blessed with Grandkids, I am going to give each one a journal that will replace cards. Thanks for the idea and I love your blogsite and pics!!!!
Love you~
Lonnie