TO CAR KEYS

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mom Tip: A Key to Understanding the Men and Boys in your Life


One of our boys was at the bank last week. He called and left me a voicemail that said something like this: "Mom, I've been shot 3 times but don't worry cause you know that I am tough as nails. I will be home in a minute so have the band-aids ready." (He was joking.) This is the same son who likes to catch snakes, enjoys bungee jumping and has spent the night in jail. You can read more about his jail adventure in my book Moms of Teens Devotions to Go.

I live with 3 men - my husband and 2 sons. One thing that has helped me to understand them is the book Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. In his book, he talks about how the male gender not only enjoys but thrives on a sense of adventure. They are attracted to activities that have an element of danger. In a nutshell, Eldredge says that is how God made men. These qualities are part of what enables them to carry out their God-given role as provider and protector of the family. Females are just the opposite. We take comfort in security and nestle in safety.

As a mom, I know that your time is valuable so I only recommend great books. This one fits that category. It has contributed the most to my attempt to understand and deal with the abundance of testerone in my home.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom on this topic?

Robin

3 comments:

Gamps said...

Hi

Gamps said...

I guess it is just me but I think this blogging is too complicated. Security is tight. Those words could stop the CIA.

Gamps said...

My mom used to say "when you get kids of your own you pay for your raising". Meaning they will do the things you do and you will realize the feeling. At least your son calls and warns you. I always asked my daughter to call me when she arrived at her destination but seems the excitement of arrival made her forget to call. This caused worry, looking up phone numbers, or driving to the place and asking, "Is my daughter here". She has two daughters with cell phones. I wonder if they can remember to call.