TO CAR KEYS

Monday, April 28, 2008

Mom Tip: A Key to Raising a Lifelong Reader

Because its benefits, most parents desire that their children develop a passion for reading. Being a reader, I know this has been my heartfelt wish for both of our boys. Over the years, I have worked with intent to discover the key to raising a lifelong reader. I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. One is to determine what genre of book peaks your child's interest. The other is to make GREAT books of that genre easily available. My entire family enjoys reading; however, we all like different types of books. Occasionally one of us will come across a favorite and will share it excitedly with other family members. Often we will give the book back unfinished and disappointed. We don't share the same passion for the book because it is not our type of reading. I like autobiographies. My husband likes books about finance. One of our boys enjoys books about theology and the other likes motivational reading. I would rather go to the dentist than read a book about finance. My husband and the boys feel the same about autobiographies.

Summer is an opportune time to fuel this passion. Over the next few weeks, I will periodically share some recommendations for GREAT books for all ages. Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson is a handy reference with GREATbook recommendations for children from preschool through 6th grade. Dividing the books by genre, she shares a short summary of each book, lists the number of pages, and gives the level of difficulty.

I hope you have a great day,
Robin

1 comment:

GH said...

A root canal sounds better than an autobiography...