TO CAR KEYS

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tip: The Empty Nest Doesn't Have to be "Empty"

Sending kids off to college can make for quite an adjustment for mom and dad at home. There's the busyness of the senior year of high school. Then suddenly in August life, as we have known it the past 18 years,comes to a screeching halt. We know. We have been there. Some couples look forward to the empty nest and adapt beautifully. Others struggle. I struggled. Several years ago when our boys went off to school, it was a tough time for me. First of all, since we have twins, it all happened at once. I was at a loss. I eagerly waited for Friday afternoons when they would walk in with their smiling faces and their dirty laundry. I felt as if I wasn't needed any longer. In fact, I was just plain mad. I never wanted my kids to grow up anyway. I loved being a mom. I took it out on my husband. It's not that he did anything to deserve it except that he was just there. Finally, as they left for their 2nd semester, I realized that I was missing out on what could be lots of fun. And now, my husband and I are having a great time. In the next blog, I will list some things we have done adjust to this wonderful new phase of life. Robin

No comments: