TO CAR KEYS

Friday, June 20, 2008

Tip: Mothers and Sons - Don't be a Mother who Smothers - Part I

There are several books written about mothers and sons. I haven't read one; however I have 21 years of OJT. Like many of you, it has been 24/7 with no morning or afternoon breaks. Of course, there are times we are physically apart but never have I had an emotional break. That's how it is with motherhood.

Like other family relationships, the bond between a mother and her son is a unique bond. However, for our sons to grow into independent productive young men, we must resist our urge to smother them as they grow older. When our boys turned 18, much to my surprise, my husband told them that they no longer had a curfew. After he said that, I followed him into our bedroom, closed the door, and asked him what he was thinking. Their curfew was midnight. I couldn't sleep until they arrived home. So now it looked like I was going to be awake even later awaiting their safe arrival home. I will never forget his response. He said, "Rob, you have to let them grow up." It's as if he took my heart out and crushed it. I didn't want to let them grow up. But the truth is, that's what we raise them for. Our hearts desire is that they grow into God-fearing young men who provide for and protect their families. We will do them a great service if we begin early to empower them to fulfill their God-given role. This is essential because the world will tell them that there are no male or female roles. On Monday, I will list ways that we, as moms, can help prepare our sons to become God's young men.

Have a blessed weekend, Robin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was writing a paper for class about my son. Your words were insightful never looked at it that way. I may be able to finsh my paer after all. Thks Glenda